top of page

The Hidden Dangers of Candles: Avoiding Toxic Chemicals for a Healthy Home

Updated: Jan 10


Candles are often used to create a warm and cozy atmosphere, but did you know that the chemicals found in some candles can be harmful to your health?


What's inside your candle?


Many candles are made from paraffin wax, which is derived from petroleum. When burned, paraffin candles release harmful chemicals into the air such as toluene and benzene, which can be harmful to human health when inhaled.


Exposure to toluene can cause a range of symptoms, including headaches, dizziness, and fatigue. In high concentrations, toluene can also cause more serious health problems such as damage to the nervous system and organs.


Benzene is a known carcinogen, meaning that it has been linked to an increased risk of cancer. Short-term exposure to high levels of benzene can cause dizziness, headaches, and unconsciousness. Long-term exposure to benzene can cause leukemia and other blood disorders.


Pets can also be affected by these chemicals, as they can inhale the fumes from candles just as humans can. It's important to keep this in mind when choosing candles and to opt for ones made with natural, non-toxic ingredients to protect the health of both humans and pets.


What about soy candles?


Soy candles are a popular alternative to paraffin candles because they are made from a natural, renewable source and are biodegradable. However, it should be noted that soy candles can still release harmful chemicals into the air if they are made with fragrances or dyes that contain toxic chemicals, which are found in most mainstream brands. Instead, select ones that have essential oils as their fragrance base.

Beeswax candles are also a great natural alternative to paraffin and soy candles, as they are made from the wax of bees and do not release any harmful chemicals when burned.


In addition to the type of wax used, the wick of a candle can also impact its safety. Many candles have lead wicks, which release lead into the air when burned.

Lead is a toxic metal that can cause serious health problems, especially in young children and pregnant women.


To ensure the safety of your candles, look for ones made with natural wax and a cotton or paper wick. It's also a good idea to keep candles away from flammable materials and to never leave them burning unattended.


While candles can add a touch of warmth and ambiance to your home, it's important to be aware of the harmful chemicals that some candles can release into the air. Choose natural, non-toxic candles to protect your health and the health of your family.


Did you know that our handmade beeswax candles are made with zero added chemicals? We only use simple and pure ingredients so that you can trust what you are putting in your home. Beeswax, coconut oil, essential oils. That’s it.




11 views0 comments
bottom of page